We believe that young people’s voices should be valued, influence our decision-making and help to drive change. This is why we are teaming up with some inspirational young conservationists to be our Young Rewilders.
We provide mentoring resources to assist their conservation ambitions, and to support them in promoting our vision of a vast network of rewilded land across Scotland where wildlife and communities flourish.
“Instead of telling us how dreadful the future will be, rewilding shows us how amazing it could be. I love rewilding because it's exciting, it's unexpected and I want to be part of making it reality.”
“It's not just the larger animals that are in need of our help, the insects are in serious decline. I feel passionately about protecting these little guys as without them, the larger animals would have nothing to eat.”
“Many of us suffer from ecological blindness. We don’t see the degraded landscapes and the animals we’ve lost because we’re not conditioned to look.”
“Rewilding doesn’t always have to be large scale. Small things can make a huge difference. On any scale though, rewilding is about giving nature space to thrive, and establishing healthy ecosystems for not only nature’s benefit but for ours too.”
“To me rewilding is the restoration of land to a state of abundant biodiversity and can only be achieved by valuing the opinions of communities and landowners. In taking this approach, changes become sustainable and nature can benefit without harm to local livelihoods.”
“I want the young people of today to feel empowered through nature and have an understanding of what it requires from us, in order for both humans and nature to flourish.”
WANT TO BE A YOUNG REWILDER?
This is what we ask of you:
- That you inspire and educate other young people (and some old) about rewilding.
- That you encourage engagement with our work through social media, friends and family.
- That you write short articles/blogs on things you’re involved with.
- That you explore becoming involved with local projects that aim for a wilder tomorrow.
- That you act as role models for SCOTLAND: The Big Picture and when convenient, support our talks, events and activities.
- That you influence SCOTLAND: The Big Picture projects and policy.
- That you help further develop the Young Rewilders programme.
We will always endeavour to support you in these activities and where possible, help you develop your skills and confidence. You will never be asked to do something you are not comfortable with unless of course you want the challenge!
This is what we will do in return:
- We will provide you with a mentor from our team.
- We will endeavour to help nurture your path into a nature-based career.
- We can provide funding for agreed projects.
- We will invite you to an annual Young Rewilders residential weekend.
- We provide a private social media group to allow you to keep in touch with your mentor as well as other Young Rewilders.
- We offer complimentary invitations to our rewilding conferences and events.
- We provide references, where appropriate.
You will also receive:
HOW TO APPLY
If you would like to be considered for our Young Rewilders programme, you live in Scotland and are under 25, please email us. Please provide your name, any social media channels and an answer to the following question:
Why would you like to be a Young Rewilder? (200 words max.)
All views expressed by our Young Rewilders on their social media channels, blogs and web sites are their own.